Thursday 18 June 2015

ABILITIES UNENDING

Some people have asked several times about the speech I gave recently in commemoration of the 25th year celebration of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) that was established in 1990.

Truthfully, I knew next to nothing about the law so in my usual pattern I began a deep research which revealed a lot and gave me a good understanding of all that has been put in place for 25 years to make the US a conducive place for disabled people.

From my speech I'm sure you'll be able to pick one or two things that may inspire you as I speak about the positive impacts of the ADA so far in the US. I have learned a lot and my perception of disability has changed a great deal. It is our responsibility to treat every disabled person with love and respect. In the end we all have one thing in common and it's the life inside of us.

Winning the first prize in this speech competition couldn't have been possible without God, the hard work I put in, my professor Kimberly Raimez who constantly encouraged, taught and gave a listening ear each time I reached out, and of course my good friend Amena Shah who I gave sleepless nights during the recording of all of the speeches before this final selection. Hopefully this inspires you in some way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment