Friday 20 November 2015

THE ONLY 'OMO ALHAJI' YOU'll FIND IN CHURCH EVERY SUNDAY



The music industry is probably the industry populated with the most AKA's. Artists tend to give themselves nicknames other than their official stage names, something to just add a bit of extra spice to their brand. 

In so many years in the Nigerian music industry I've never come across an aka as deep as one of YCEE's multiple aka's.

"The only Omo alhaji you find in church every Sunday". In a brief exclusive chat session with the JAGABAN crooner, he explains and breaks it all down. I bet you'll enjoy reading this chat

Read his interview right after the cut;


How has your life changed since your rise to fame?
"My life hasn't really changed much, asides the fact that I can't go about as freely as I used to. Sometimes it feels good that you don't have to introduce yourself when you walk into a room but for street, it could get really uncomfortable. And to be honest, I don't think I'm famous yet."


Is it difficult to handle the attention, especially from the ladies?
"Not really, I'm not yet at that point where women throw themselves at you just cos you're on tv and all so for now it's all good. I got love for everyone that shows me love."


What challenges did you face breaking into the music industry?
"Well I faced a few. Doing hiphop music in Nigeria is a huge challenge on its own. Being upcoming is also a huge challenge, cos most people don't even bother to give you a listening ear. So whether you sabi or not, they won't even give you a chance. I think those were my biggest challenges."


What challenges are you facing now?
"Wow! Good question. Right now, keeping up with and doing better than the competition is priority for me and my team(Tinny Ent.) cos it keeps us on our toes. And its a challenge cos you see established artists dropping songs and videos every month and a half or at most 2 months. My kind of music isn't the type to die off quickly so it's a bit hard to find the balance between putting out enough content and not flooding the market.


Speaking about content, what's next?
"I just released a cover I did for Drake's hotline bling, the reception has been amazing so far. The video for JAGABAN remix should drop in a few days, when my label decides its the right time. And I might just put out another single before the year runs out."


How was the experience of working with Olamide?
"One word, dope! Baddo is very down to earth so it was a very good experience for me. The entire Ybnl crew welcomed me, shout out to them."
I know almost every musician has an aka but you have quite a number, why?
"LOL... well there's no actual reason for that. These names just spring up and they stick. New school jagaban, tinny entertainment mafia, the only Omo alhaji you find in church every Sunday..."


Please explain that last one?
"Yeah sure, my father was an alhaji. I said "was" cos he's late, he died when I was 9. Basically I was raised by my mom and she's a very devout catholic. So yes, I grew the catholic way. I try to go to mass every Sunday. So that's how that particular aka came about."


How can you describe yourself in one word?
"Versatile."


No comments:

Post a Comment